William T. Burdo has spent his career representing people who have suffered serious and catastrophic injuries as a result of medical malpractice or negligence. He has a well-earned reputation for hard work, preparedness and zealous advocacy on behalf of his clients. His efforts both in and out of the courtroom have provided his clients with extraordinary results, including some of the largest recoveries obtained in New York State.
Mr. Burdo’s verdicts and settlements have been published in numerous media outlets including the New York Law Journal, New York Jury Verdict Reporter and Jury Verdict Review & Analysis. He has been featured on/in ABC News, NBC News, News 12, the Daily News, the New York Post, Newsday, New York Magazine, Long Island Legal Briefs, HealthCare Pro and O&P Business News. Mr. Burdo’s hard work and exceptional skills have consistently earned him top honors and reviews in the profession. His accolades include:
- Named as a New York State “Super Lawyer” – recognizing him as one of the top 5% of lawyers practicing in the field of medical malpractice.
- Awarded ‘The National Trial Lawyer Award’ – recognizing him as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in New York State.
- Earned a “Top 1% Trial Counsel Rating in Medical Malpractice” by Medical Malpractice Lawyers
- President’s Award – New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Adjunct Professor of Law – Hofstra University School of Law – Medical Malpractice
- “40 Under 40” Award – Long Island Business News
- AVVO Rating of 10/10
Mr. Burdo’s mastery of medical malpractice law has allowed him to amass an impressive list of results on behalf of his clients; regularly obtaining recoveries in excess of one million dollars. Recently, in 2014, Mr. Burdo was the lead trial lawyer in a case on which he obtained one of the top 10 highest medical malpractice settlements in New York ($6,000,000). In 2015 he repeated the feat and was again the lead trial lawyer for a case in which he obtained the 3rd highest settlement in a medical malpractice case in New York ($6,500,000). This result was also the 8th highest settlement overall for injury cases in the state. Based upon his expertise and track record, Mr. Burdo is frequently called upon by attorneys across the state, as well as from New Jersey and Connecticut, to collaborate on litigation matters and for referral of significant cases.
Mr. Burdo has been privileged to represent a wide range of clients; from children, everyday working people and homemakers, to professional opera singers, politicians, television stars and media personalities.
Mr. Burdo is a frequently sought speaker and lecturer on medical malpractice litigation. He has been called upon to lecture before consumer protection organizations and professional legal organizations, including the New York State Bar Association, New York State Trial Lawyers Association and New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers. He has also been honored to serve as an Adjunct Professor at Hofstra University School of Law where he teaches its Medical Malpractice course to aspiring lawyers.
Mr. Burdo has been an active supporter of many consumer and charitable groups throughout his career, including: United Cerebral Palsy, Cancer Care, PULSE (Persons United for Limiting Substandards and Errors in Healthcare), Holiday Magic, the Michael W. McCarthy Foundation and the Thurgood Marshall Moot Court Trial Competition held in Bronx, New York. He formerly served on the Advisory Board of the Adelphi Breast Cancer Coalition. He has also supported his alma mater St. John’s University School of Law.
- St John’s University, School of Law – J.D.
- Manhattan College – B.S.
Professional Associations and Memberships (Past and present)
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association – Board of Directors
- New York Academy of Trial Lawyers – Founding Member/Secretary/Treasurer/Board of Directors
- Hofstra University School of Law – Adjunct Professor
- New York State Bar Association
- Nassau-Suffolk Trial Lawyers Association – Board of Directors
- Nassau County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice